The Introduction in a Safe Cycling
To prevent the injuries from cycling
The use of hand signals for cycling in a group is for the safety. The riders should learn how to use hand signals for cycling, especially for group leaders. The simplest ways are following :
1. Stopping signalHold a hand straight up the sky when arriving at the intersection or with obstacles ahead. Those who ride in the back in a group slow down and stop.
2. To slow down the speedPut one hand to the side, lift up and down like a slap in the air. Those who ride in the back in groups slow down the speed.
3. The signal for obstacles aheadShow a hand to the back or point out that there are obstacles ahead such as parked car, etc. Those who ride in the back in groups avoid obstacles as indicated by hand signals.
4. Turning signalSpread arms parallel to the ground in turn directions such as left turn, spread left arm, right turn, spread right arm
5. The signal for obstacles belowPoint your hand down to the bottom when you find a pothole on the road or rock, oil on the road which should be avoided. The sound signal should be accompanied by a hand signal.